GREENLINE - Green Line gallery

Green Line gallery

Green Line gallery

With a heritage as long and distinguished as that of Green Line, our gallery has some fascinating photographs of some of our vehicles from a bygone age. We are grateful to the London Transport Museum for permission to use some of their wonderful collection and recommend a visit to their online photo archive.

History page imagesweb readyHistory-content-image-GN8235

GN 8235 (fleet number T354)

Photographed in Stevenage High Street in August 1934 was one of 6 AEC Regals with 33-seat London Lorries bodies acquired from Queen Line Coaches of Baldock on 26 April 1933, along with the service from Baldock to Kings Cross. This became service AR and was the predecessor of our present Green Line 797. They had been new in early 1931 and were subsequently rebodied and classified type 5T4.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection





GN 2007 (fleet number T210)

Petrol-powered AEC Regals entered service in 1931. This picture, taken at the Eccleston Bridge terminus at London's Victoria in August 1937, clearly shows the well-dressed, middle class patronage enjoyed by Green Line during the inter-war years.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection 





Fleet number T302
Like the picture above, this shows one of the 1/7T7/1 class of AEC Regal. They had 30-seat, front entrance bodies and introduced roof boards along the cant rail. This was taken at Chiswick on 10 February 1931.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection 





GP 3456 (fleet number LT 1137)
London Transport's first Green Line double-deck coach was built on a single deck chassis in 1931. It has 54 seats and the body had to have a short rear overhang to comply with length regulations. The sliding sun-roof proved unsatisfactory and was removed in 1935. It survived the war on route 330 to be scrapped in 1946. Photographed at Chiswick on 15 September 1931.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection





CLX 553 (fleet number T405)
This was one of 50 type 9T9 AEC Regals with LPTB bodywork introduced in 1936. They used a longer wheelbase than their predecessors and were 27ft 6in long. They entered service during summer 1936 but their 7.7 litre engines proved under-powered for Green Line work. Many were demoted to bus work in 1939 and served as ambulances during World War 2. It was photographed in June 1936.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection





CGJ 188 (fleet number Q83)
This AEC Q was designated type 4Q4 by London Transport, and carried 38-seat BRCW bodywork. With a 7.7 litre diesel-powered engine, it entered service as a country bus in summer 1936. However it was converted to Green Line coach specification in October 1936 by the fitment of heaters, luggage racks and roof boards, only to be demoted to bus work again in 1938 with the heaters removed. It was caught by the camera in 1975 after being rescued for preservation.
© Barry Lee





LLU 613 (fleet number RT3254)
A batch of Weymann-bodied standard RTs were delivered to Romford London Road garage for the 721 and 722 eastern coach routes terminating at Aldgate. They carried raised 'Green Line' bullseyes between the decks but were otherwise standard buses, albeit the earliest RTs to be fitted with saloon heaters. New in July 1950 the bus bearing this fleet number passed back to LTE in September 1972 and served at Barking until March 1979. Photographed, after preservation, in Barnet on 5 July 2008.
© Barry Lee





MLL 806 (fleet number RF269)
The 263 Green Line RFs were delivered between October 1951 and July 1953. They dominated the network until the early 1970s. This picture shows the original appearance of RF269, albeit retrofitted with trafficators. In 1966, 175 Green Line RFs were moderninsed to the design of Misha Black. With 9.6 litre diesel engines the 39-seaters were faster, quieter and comfortable than the prewar coaches they replaced. Captured on 2 June 2002 at Hertford, after rescue by preservationists.
© Barry Lee





476 CLT (fleet number RMC1476)
There were 68 production Routemaster coaches, RMC1453-1520, which entered service in autumn 1962, mainly on routes serving the New Towns. Distinguished by dual headlights, RMCs had air suspension and 57 deeper seats, compared with the 64 of the standard bus RM. The same AV590 engine drove through a semi-automatic gearbox and a high-ratio rear axle. This wonderful period publicity shot was taken at what is now Arriva's Harlow garage and features driver Floodgate and conductor Akehurst.
© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection





NPD 139L (fleet number LNC39)
This 11.3m long Leyland National was built to bus specification when National Bus Company (NBC) subsidiaries had little choice relating to the standardised Leyland National. London Country recovered the seats in moquette over the original vinyl to improve comfort for Green Line passengers. Photographed in Bushey on 3 September 1974.
© Barry Lee





UPE 204M (fleet number SNC104)
After some difficulties with the longer Leyland Nationals, London Country took the shorter 10.3m version, again with bus seats recovered in moquette. The seating was not suitable for longer journeys and later deliveries featured coach seating of a much higher quality. Captured by the camera in 1974 in Dorking.
© Barry Lee





VPH 32S (fleet number RS32)

In order to overcome the strictness of capital approval within NBC, Derek Fytche arranged a  programme for 150 AEC Reliances to be leased for 5 years from Kirby Central. Thirty coaches were delivered per year from 1976 and this example had 49 caoch seats in Plaxton Supreme III Express bodywork. Seen at Hatfield on 29 May 1983.
© Barry Lee





YPD 118Y (fleet number TD18)
Green Line services were very successful in the years following coach deregulation in 1980. The 1983 order amounted to 45 coaches specified with  the so-called 'Scottish front', using a shallower windscreen. This one was a Leyland Tiger 245 with Duple Dominant IV Express bodywork. They were delivered in an NBC livery known as 'Ferrier stripes' after designer, Nigel Ferrier. Seen on 28 May 1983 at Hatfield.
© Barry Lee